Powered by Blogger.

Are Some Work Opportunities Worth The Terms Of Relations With Brands?

By sindisosdiary.com - 12:15


For a couple of weeks if not months, I have been pondering writing about a topic that most bloggers or content creators can resonate with. I hope this will not be taken in bad light but be acknowledged for the message that I am trying to get across.

As a content creator, you get excited when approached by reputable and small brands alike for work opportunities. Most of them speak of collaborative relationships that are beneficial to both you the content creator and them. However I found that when I ask “what’s in it for sindisosdiary” because they never shy away from letting you know the terms of the agreement and what is expected from you. Many a times I am told they have no budget; cannot send me products they want me to review and promote; or they can pay me an equivalent of R150 for a blog post of about 500 words, with traffic referring benefits to their sites and promoting their brands on my social media.
I am very much aware that I have only been blogging for almost a year now but can brands be a little bit more considerate of us content creators? Who reimburses us the time, effort, data and resources to bring to our readers and followers the most thought provoking or at least interesting content? I started blogging because I needed an outlet to express myself in words and through my personal style. Hence, I have never approached a brand before because I know what I would need to invest for any work opportunity that might arise to be a success. Blogging was never meant to be a business offering but as time goes by, it dawns on me more and more that my passion can lead me to a different career path than I ever envisioned for myself. But for this blog to be a success, I need time and resources that unfortunately require me to sacrifice a lot to make it happen.  
Even as it may seem that I am bashing “brands” offering me opportunities to grow and expose sindisosdiary to avenues that I would have not necessarily hit now; I do not take that for granted at all. In fact I am honoured that people are taking note of my work and are appreciating it. But I would just like a little consideration and respect for what I am doing. On the same breadth, I must acknowledge that there are brands that do take care of their end of the bargain and meet the content creators somewhere in terms of offsetting some costs or even giving free products. But those looking to sponge of upcoming blogs for their selfish interests, it is not right. Please reconsider the business models you have and stop taking us for granted. Not only does it cheapen the brands, it makes us lose respect for what those brands often stand for. You cannot be for the people(nations) and still use your consumers or service providers to your own benefit. Is that not a contradiction? It is making me sad that we are being taken for a ride.

What is your opinion on this and do you think it is right for brands to take advantage of content creators (established and upcoming)? Kindly leave your comments below and share this post with your friends and family. To those on Google+, you can join my family on this link

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

0 comments